Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Art of Forgiveness

He embraced her and said "We are all fate's puppets. Only the strongest of us are chosen to play the hardest roles upon this stage of life. If you had not done what you did, Ravana would be alive and the world still full of danger. It was not you who sent me away from Ayodhya, but my destiny took me.  As for forgiveness, it is not for me to forgive you, but for you to understand you had no choice in what you did. You must forgive yourself, little mother."

These are Rama's words to his step mother, after 14 years of exile in the forest. I find this action admirable, whether it be mother or a father, looking back at my life and my relationship with my parents, I only now see all the actions I considered unjust, as a way for them to lead me to where I am today, wether consciously or not, they stood up for their choices and went through with them, no matter how hard it was for them to do.

Today is Father's day, at least on this side of the earth…Today is a day to find forgiveness and give love to the one person that was there for us through good and bad times, and lead us through difficult times, whether we were able to recognize the significance of their actions in the moment, or we see them now after some time has passed, it is never too late to give thanks, to bow our heads and open our hearts and give unconditionally. 
I would like to dedicate this shakti mantra to my dad, who has been my guide for 16 years now, 

Asatoma Sadgamaya
Thamaso Maa Jyothir Gamaya
Mrithyor Maa Amrutham Gamaya
Aum Shanti Shanti Shantihi
Lead me from the unreal to the real. Lead me from darkness to light. Lead me from death to immortality. May there be peace everywhere.the

No comments:

Post a Comment