Thursday, April 12, 2012

Importance of Teacher


The wave forgets the truth that it is ocean, 
thinking itself to be the grand shape, which it has temporarily taken.
For a while, it takes on the rupa (form) of wave.
Finally, it remembers its true rupa (form) of ocean.

The two coexist, though one is true, and theother, though beautiful, is only relatively true.
So too, we humans forget our true nature,but,through yoga, can remember.

People in India have a deep respect for the spiritual side of life, they practice devotion, selfless giving, in all that they do. So I began to wonder what space devotion has in my life…devotion is a profound dedication to an object, person, divinity or practice. We don't need to be in India to be devoted to something. 
Yoga is my source of devotion, and therefore I am dedicated to my Teacher, my Guru.
Lately I have been thinking about the importance of having a Teacher/Guru, the space that Guru holds in my heart and soul, but most importantly the question has been can I have more then one Guru/Teacher that I am devoted to.
So i began researching…what is a Teacher?What is Guru?
A Guru is a teacher, a person that removes ignorance so you can see the truth. To have a Guru who acts as the master is an essential part of spiritual growth, to feel respect for and to want to honor one’s Guru is natural and healthy. "The real blessing of a Guru comes in the form of study, discipline, and hard work that leads to knowledge and wisdom and not just with the touch of a hand." Guru is someone who inspires you to go deeper, to keep investigating, to come closer to your truth.
So can we have more then one Guru?
Even though in definition of Guru is Teacher, to my heart the truth is that there is one Guru and many Teachers, both take you to your true light, both inspire you and guide you in a path of discipline and growth. I feel devoted to more then one Teacher, and in my heart there is a very specific space for each one of them. When I think of them I feel the need to be a better person. I devote a moment to each one of them, I bow down to them at the beginning and end of each practice because holding them in my thoughts feels as though they are looking into my soul and guiding me to act at my highest potential.
Through devotion to my Guru/Teachers I grow, I become more wise, I follow my path. 
Perhaps all teachers are One, and that One made up of many is my Guru,
because Guru, gives us a chance to put aside our selfishness and replace it with surrender and service.
For more inspiration see Sutra 1.3 Tada drashtuh svarupe avasthanam
"Then the Seer abides in Itself, resting in its own True Nature, which is called Self-realization." 



No comments:

Post a Comment